Company: Kelly Services
Posted on: April 10, 2021
General RequirementsProvides expertise for the completion of
capital and/or maintenance projects in the Instrument Design
discipline in order to ensure safe, economical, constructible and
- Technical:-- Has knowledge and understanding of instrument
sizing and selection programs, instrument specification and
procurement programs, instrument databases, wiring methods, and
accepted installation practices.--
- Computer Competency Skills:----Smart Plant Instrumentation
(Intools), Propix Suite, MicroStation and 3D Modeling and an
intermediate level of competence in Microsoft Word, Excel and
- Organizational:-- Has the ability to create design drawings and
documentation used for construction bid packages and for
- Personal: Must be able to work with and get along with others
with diverse backgrounds.---- Must be able to exchange ideas and
information one-on-one and in a group.Primary Responsibilities
- The Instrument Designer is responsible for all instrument
aspects on multi-discipline projects.
- Develops scope, cost estimate, schedule, design strategy and
determines resources needed on instrument projects.
- Applies engineering principles in discipline of competency, as
assigned by SME with some direction.-- Performs engineering /
design calculations, sizing and selection of instruments.
- Prepares basic specifications detailing performance
requirements, specific components, design requirements, applicable
design codes, and vendor drawing requirements.-- Prepares MST's for
inquiring and ordering instrumentation.
- Prepares sketches and performs calculations for a specific
segment of a project.
- Evaluates vendor bids and drawings to assure compliance with
- Designs instrument systems that are safe, reliable, economical,
constructible, and maintainable in accordance with Dow standards
and work processes. Systems will include both new installations and
modernization of existing facilities. Systems will incorporate
multiple areas of instrument technology.
- Coordinates the activities of designers / drafters to
accomplish instrument design of projects.
- Uses instrument computer design tools to create detailed design
drawings and documentation used for construction bid packages.
- Exchanges technical information with peers, other engineering
disciplines, and suppliers.
- Provides engineering field support on construction projects
when requested by the Owner's Representative or plant.
- Reviews and checks inner discipline bid/construction packages
prepared for issue.
- Attends and participates in project team meetings, including
final team check.Specific Knowledge and Skills
- Skills in instrument design and bid package development using
Instrument Computer Design Tools.
- Has the ability to plan and organize work effectively while
working on several projects simultaneously.
- Has knowledge and understanding of engineering sizing tools,
including PROPIX Suite.
- Have effective oral and written communication skills.
- Must be a self-starter with high initiative.
- Has the ability to independently perform instrument design
functions in the following area:
- SPI (Intools) Instrument Database
- Propix selection/sizing
- Safety Instrumented Systems
- Instrument specification and procurement programs.
- Assist in the development of Mechanical Equipment Packages,
including the review of Equipment Specifications and Supplier
- Has the ability to understand and use many different types of
engineering documentation, including but not limited to:
- P&IDs (Piping and Instrument Diagrams)
- Process Flowsheets
- Wiring, schematics, and interconnection diagrams
- Equipment location plans and electrical hazardous area
- Global Pipe Specifications
- Piping isometrics
- Equipment installation instructions provided by suppliers
- Has superior knowledge and understanding of instrument
equipment and the various parameters which affect their application
- Associate Degree in Instrumentation Technology, Electrical
Technology or equivalent training and experience.
- 2-5 years of design experience in the instrument field.Other
- The individual shall be motivated with the experience and
ability to co-lead projects in the instrument discipline with
minimal direct supervision.
- The individual must be physically able to do fieldwork in an
operating chemical plant, which includes taking field measurements
and climbing stairs and ladders.
- Work in a petro-chemical environment where hard hat,
respirator, eye protection and safety harness will be required for
fieldwork.Why Kelly--?Your engineering skills are in demand, but
how do you find the right fit? Easy. With Kelly Engineering, our
experts connect you with leading organizations where you can learn
and grow, collaborate on innovative projects, and keep your skills
sharp with top technology. Whether you prefer the variety and
flexibility of short-term projects, or are looking for something
more long-term, we're here every step of the way to find your dream
engineering job.About Kelly--At Kelly, we're always thinking about
what's next and advising job seekers on new ways of working to
reach their full potential. In fact, we're a leading advocate for
temporary/non-traditional workstyles, because we believe they allow
flexibility and tremendous growth opportunities that enable a
better way to work and live. Connecting great people with great
companies is what we do best, and our employment opportunities span
a wide variety of workstyles, skill levels, and industries around
the world.Kelly is an equal opportunity employer committed to
employing a diverse workforce and providing accommodations for
people with disabilities in all parts of the hiring process as
required under its Employment Accommodation Policy. Kelly will work
with applicants to meet accommodation needs that are made known to
Kelly in advance.]]
Keywords: Kelly Services, Missouri City , Instrument Designer, Other , Brazoria, Texas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!